Sunday, November 16, 2008

Entertainment Column

By SARAH BONGERS

The summer has long since passed along with the end of Canadian Idol’s sixth season.
When this season’s CI winner Theodore Thames took home the crown, it left most of us Idol-fans, including myself, wondering, “What’s next?”
American Idol of course. The season eight premieres doesn’t start till Jan. 13, but with the rush of tension and excitement during the last AI season (who could forget the final David and David showdown), had fans clamouring for more.
I must admit I wasn’t an Idol fan until earlier this year when season seven of AI started. I have watched a couple episodes of AI auditions in past seasons, but I never went past that point. I was put off by the huge hype surrounding it.
But when I gave it a chance, I was surprised by how well some of the contestants can sing. Before long I got used to the familiar faces and started cheering some of them on. I laughed with the judges, argued one-sidedly with them and called them names when they choose the top 24.
When it is time for AI fans to vote, living in Canada suddenly becomes inconvenient. Tensions were running even higher for Canadian AI fans, because all we can do is hope that AI fans in the states kept our favourite contestants in the running.
That being said, I have to go through it all over again in this year’s AI.
After being hooked with the show, of course I wanted more. I eagerly tuned into CI, as soon as it aired a couple of months after AI ended.
But this time, I could vote.
I stayed up late every Monday night punching the redial button to vote. The next day when the results came in, I would either hop with joy that he or she made it to the next round, or shout with fury that my vote didn’t make a difference when he or she was axed from the show.
Whether you live in Canada or the states, watching either Idol shows is undoubtedly entertaining. Not only can you hear contestants sing your favourite songs, but you can gain new favourite songs through them.
One of the differences I liked between the two Idol shows, are the judges and each of their different personalities. The American version has three judges, cool ‘dawg’ Randy Jackson, sweetheart Paula Abdul and brutally honest Simon Cowell. The four Canadian judges are classy Farley Flex, sophisticated Jake Gold, giddy Sass Jordan and unpredictable Zack Werner.
In season eight American Idol season, a forth judge joins the panel, Kara Dioguardi.
When I heard that news way back last August I thought they are trying to copy Canadian Idol’s four judge system when they decided to add another different personality into the mix. I still do.
But I don’t feel as bitter about it when I first heard about it. I do prefer the CI judges over the AI judges because of that diversity in personality. The extra number added more insight in the criticism towards the contestants.
I realized then that is what was missing from AI, the fourth wheel and a different look on things. I don’t know how Dioguardi will fit with the other judges, but I am hoping the monotonous criticism I have come to predict from the current AI judges will be broken. This new judge could just be what AI needs to spice up the judge’s table, and give me even more of a reason to watch this season of AI.

No comments: